Why People Don’t “Get It” When You Talk and Write About What You DoJun 09, 2022
Have you ever been asked "what do you do?" at a networking event or just at a party, and despite your best attempt at a response, all you got was blank stares? Or have you spent a ton of time working on website copy, and the response was crickets?
Today we're talking about why people don't get it when you talk and write about what you do. In my early days as a business owner, it was so hard to explain what I did that I often avoided situations where I would have to, which affected more than my marketing results. It affected my self-esteem!
Since then, I have learned what got in my way of effectively communicating what I did and what to do instead, which is what I want to share with you today. Hear four sneaky reasons why you might struggle with this like I did and my strategies for turning this around.
In this episode, you'll hear:
- Why you need to speak your client's language and not your own
- How the corporate speech used in your past career won't help you land clients as a consultant or coach
- How over editing your speech and writing keeps you in analysis paralysis
- Why being all things to all people keeps you from reaching your ideal client
- Identify what is standing in your way of clearly communicating what you do and try out one of the solutions I offered.
- Next time you must put a message together either verbally or in writing – try my WHO, WHAT, HOW communication method.
- Be sure to check out my Done-For-You Copywriting Service at www.betsyjordyn.com/copywriting. You'll get amazing website copy FAST, plus you'll see tangible examples of how your messages and ideas get turned into words that connect, convince and convert.
Tune in to my next episode, where I'll share who to know who your ideal client is and what you need to know for your branding and messaging to that group.
Connect on LinkedIn:
- Betsy Jordyn https://www.linkedin.com/in/betsy-jordyn/
About me: Betsy Jordyn is the founder and CEO of Betsy Jordyn International, a boutique branding firm that offers personalized mentoring and end-to-end creative design services to help high-achieving, purpose-driven entrepreneurs build profitable consulting and coaching businesses that they love. Betsy is the host of the weekly Enough Already podcast, blog, and YouTube channel, with over 300 episodes. Through her company and her content, she is on a mission to empower accomplished professionals to make the shift from success to significance and achieve their full potential in their careers and in their personal lives.
Download my free guide on how to clarify and own your unique position in the crowded consulting and coaching market: https://www.betsyjordyn.com/opt-in
Learn more about my Brand Positioning and Messaging strategy services: https://www.betsyjordyn.com/services
Schedule a consult call to talk about what you need to do to get seen and paid as the expert you already are: https://betsyjordyn.as.me/schedule
Related Blog, Video, or Podcast Episode:
Are you interested in starting your own business or getting your existing consulting or coaching business to stand out in the marketplace? Then, check out my FREE resources to help you get instant traction and accelerate your success! Click here for free goodies.
Let's Stay Connected!
Actionable inspiration, expert interviews and behind-the-scenes consulting and coaching secrets and best practices and SO MUCH MORE, delivered to your inbox for a weekly dose of entrepreneurial motivation!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.