Why You Need An Ideal Client Archetype (Ep38)
"When you speak to everyone, you speak to no one."
This quote from Seth Godin was a catalyst that completely transformed my approach to growing my own business and helping others do the same.
It makes sense that as consultants and coaches with tons of skills, certifications, frameworks, and methodologies, our path to success is either narrowing down the services we offer or making our approach attractive to many potential clients. And the result is what I talked about in last week's episode – people don't get it when we speak and write about what we do.
So, what's the alternative? What's a better way to connect with clients?
Today, we're talking about Ideal Client Archetypes – what they are, why you need one, and what will hold you back from creating one.
In this episode, you'll hear:
- Why you need an ideal client archetype to bring in the right clients and scale
- How the ideal client archetype informs all of your marketing activities and changes how you FEEL about marketing
- Myths that keep consultants and coaches from using an ideal client archetype
I promised to share five things you needed to know about your ideal client last week. But instead, I've decided to add this episode to lay the groundwork and build the case for why it's essential to deeply understand WHO your business serves and how it's the key step to getting into flow.
Where to dive in:
[1:37] What happens when you don't know your ideal client
[4:17] The right archetype drills down to who hires you, why, and how this influences fees
[6:12] How understanding your ideal client reveals their inner roles and journey and informs how you can position yourself as a solution
[7:51] The tactical and financial reasons why you need an ideal client archetype
[10:42] How your ideal client archetype changes your approach and fears of marketing
[12:05] The strategic reason why you need an ideal client archetype
[14:04] The common objections to creating an ideal client archetype and Bety's response
[17:46] Myths that keep people from using an ideal client archetype
[23:06] Hear the quick recap and next steps
- To start creating your ideal client, list everyone you have done fantastic work with and think about clients, former bosses, colleagues, and volunteer work. Next, identify what these people have in common regarding demographics, personality, and problems. What is the common thread?
- Get curious when people reach out to you for help. Ask them about what's happening in their life, career, and business that makes them think of you. Probe more about the problem they are dealing with and why getting a solution matters to them.
- Need help? Check out my end-to-end creative brand services at www.betsyjordyn.com/services or book a call with me for a free consult at www.betsyjordyn.com/schedule to get one-on-one help unearthing your ideal client and reaching this group through your branding, copy, and website.
About me: Betsy Jordyn is a Brand Positioning Strategist that helps consulting and coaching business owners clarify their brand positioning and messaging, create a website presence that positions them as sought-after experts, land clients with ease and integrity, and take their place as thought leaders and influencers in their niche. Her mission is to help consultants and coaches monetize their best-at strengths and authentic passions to make a bigger difference in the world. Check out her brand strategy, messaging, and design services at https://www.betsyjordyn.com
Download my free guide on how to clarify and own your unique position in the crowded consulting and coaching market: https://www.betsyjordyn.com/opt-in
Learn more about my Brand Positioning and Messaging strategy services: https://www.betsyjordyn.com/services
Schedule a consult call to talk about what you need to do to get seen and paid as the expert you already are: https://betsyjordyn.as.me/schedule
Related Blog, Video or Podcast Episode: