How to Get Started in O.D. (Without the Degree)Jan 08, 2017
The one question I am asked almost weekly is, “How do I get started in Organization Development?” After 20 years in the field, I am starting to see that to excel as an organizational consultant is less about specialized knowledge and skills and more about a way of perceiving and thinking. Let me explain.
The best consultants I have worked do not all have masters’ degrees. Some don’t even have undergraduate degrees. What they do have in common are these five attributes:
- They have mastered systems thinking which means they get how organizations function in order to create value. They have an intuitive understanding that in order to improve a business result like customer service, many internal performance levers such as customer insight, employee performance expectations, service processes, employee training & selection as well as leadership performance and culture need to be enhanced and aligned.
- They have a vision for what organizational health looks like. They know that in order for a company to deliver long-term sustainable health that all of the disciplines and roles within the company need to be equally respected valued and leveraged.
- They have an ability to simplify the complex. Their framing skills enable them to help their clients get their arms around all their issues and challenges so that the best path to greater success can be seen.
- They know how to position their expertise against business performance gaps (vs. being a pair of hands that simply implements a solution that a client requests.) They see themselves as peer-to-peer partners who fully understand that when their expertise is applied leadership and organizational capacity and business results are dramatically improved.
- They have an ability to simultaneously manage the tactical and relational dynamics of the client/consultant relationship. Every consulting engagement winds up including some group facilitation, individual coaching and/or project management. To do this well, the best consultants are always aware that with change comes resistance and complicated corporate politics.
If you are interested in becoming a consultant and landing work in large organizations, you have probably considered graduate school. While there are so many benefits to graduate school (I have a masters in Organization Development and cannot say enough positive words about my experience) if you do not have the time, money or inclination for advanced degrees there are other ways. You can get started now, in your current job.
But don't just take my word for it. Let's hear from some of my remarkable graduates who have experienced extraordinary growth and success:
🌟 Dave said, "Betsy's OD Toolbox provides the practical knowledge you need to feel confident in the practice of being a consultant. Completing it is like an MBA, but with real tools you can use immediately."
🌟 Ron added, "The Consultant's Toolbox is the best source of information and education for consultants that I have come across. I've already used the information to help my business, and I keep the cheat sheets ready to go on my phone."
🌟 Rachelle shared her experience, saying, "I am still floored by how much I've learned through this program - and how much I still do not know. Betsy's knowledge and understanding of the consulting process, the systems she has created, and the simple language she uses to explain things is simply amazing."
🌟 Frederick exclaimed, "This program permanently changed the way I view my business. Although new to consulting, I now see how I bring a wealth of experience and education that is worth significant value to future clients... and I'm not intimidated by asking for what I'm worth. I'm not an expense; I'm an investment."
These incredible professionals have broken free from the tactical trap, gained access to decision-making circles, and made a lasting impact on the organizations they serve. They have transformed their consulting careers and unlocked their strategic potential.
Now, it's your turn to experience this remarkable transformation. The OD Consultant's Toolbox is carefully designed to equip you with the practical skills, proven strategies, and insider knowledge you need to navigate complex challenges, influence senior leaders, and create meaningful change.
What's even more exciting is that you get to name your own price! I believe in making this program accessible to passionate consultants like you who are eager to make a difference. Choose the price that aligns with your goals and invest in your growth and success.
By enrolling in the OD Consultant's Toolbox, you'll not only elevate your consulting impact but also contribute to a greater cause. We're proud to share that 50% of the profits generated from this program will be donated to Kiva, supporting entrepreneurs worldwide through micro-loans.
Let's Stay Connected!
Actionable inspiration, expert interviews and behind-the-scenes consulting and coaching secrets and best practices and SO MUCH MORE, delivered to your inbox for a weekly dose of entrepreneurial motivation!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.